New Mexico institutions offer virtual crafts, music and more
SANTA FE – State agencies are offering plenty of distractions for New Mexicans stuck at home for another weekend amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Crafts, concerts and kitchen chemistry are just a few of the activities the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs and the Tourism Department have prepared. Here’s a list of some of the things you can do this weekend – without leaving home:
Go shopping – online – using the Tourism Department’s new buy-local online gift guide.
Enjoy the New Mexico Museum of Art’s annual Spring Community Fun Day virtually. Visit the website for seasonal crafts as well as a scavenger hunt in our online collection.
The second concert in the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs’ weekly Friday night virtual concert series, “Our Fair New Mexico,” will feature Otilio Ruiz at the National Hispanic Cultural Center, at 7 p.m. Friday, April 17.
The New Mexico History Museum invites all New Mexicans to help make history by sharing stories, diaries or memories of these days of social-distancing by emailing them to email@example.com.
The New Mexico Museum of Space History’s Virtual Rocketeer Academy launches this weekend. The academy offers 15-minute programs on a variety of DIY educational activities from kitchen chemistry to homemade rocketry. This week, learn how to make stomp rockets with materials you have at home.
The State Library has introduced free unlimited TumbleBooks access for all New Mexicans—no library card, download or apps required. The collection includes K-6 children’s books, young adults (grades 7-12), and audio books.
Need to find free, public Wifi in your community? The New Mexico State Library has an interactive map of libraries across the state providing Wifi in their parking lots so students can access online resources, local residents can fill out their online Census survey, and local businesses can access CARES Act support. Many are keeping their Wifi on 24/7, and several have boosted the signal so that it can reach farther.
The Museum of International Folk Art invites you to explore nine of its most popular exhibits, online. New exhibits are being added, so visit often.
New Mexico Historic Sites has launched a “Virtual Classroom” for each of its eight historic sites. The online resource includes videos, full lesson plans (tied to curriculum standards) and activities by grade level.
The History and Literary Arts Program of the National Hispanic Cultural Center has launched the podcast “La Hilacha, Words and Memories,” celebrating Latinx history and literature.
A virtual tour of “Monumental Territory,” an exhibit of work by Las Cruces artist Kayla Blundell at the New Mexico Farm & Ranch Heritage Museum, is available on Facebook.
The Tourism Department hosts a Youtube playlist of 360 videos that let users soar in a hot air balloon, wander the corridors of Meow Wolf, and cruise through some of New Mexico’s great neighborhoods. Users can experience New Mexico TRUE in 360 with a virtual reality headset or on a traditional viewing screen.
- Google Arts & Culture: Carlsbad Caverns
- Google Arts & Culture: Bandelier National Monument
- Google Arts & Culture: Chaco Culture National Historical Park
- Santa Fe Google Treks
- Visit Albuquerque’s Homeside Exploration & Activities Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta Virtual Tour
- Explore Albuquerque Virtual Tour
- Albuquerque Museum Virtual Tour
- The Very Large Array Explorer
- Anderson Museum of Contemporary Art Virtual Tour
- Prescott Gallery & Sculpture Garden Virtual Tour
- Petroglyph National Monument Virtual Visit
- Google Arts & Culture: National Hispanic Cultural Center Online
- Google Arts & Culture: Georgia O’Keeffe Museum
- Department of Cultural Affairs – Collection of Exhibitions and Digital Resources
- Museum of International Folk Art Online Exhibits
- IAIA Museum of Contemporary Native Arts Virtual Reality Exhibition
- New Mexico Museum of National History & Science Online Exhibits
- Museum of Indian Arts & Culture Online Exhibitions
- Georgia O’Keeffe Museum Collections Online
- New Mexico Museum of Art Online Exhibitions
- Museum of Spanish Colonial Art Online Collections
- Blackwater Draw National Historic Landmark & Museum Online Exhibits
- Chaco Culture Museum Collection Web Exhibit
- New Mexico Historic Sites Virtual Classroom Program
- Los Luceros Historic Site Virtual Programs & Activities
- IPCC’s Virtual Culture Guide
- Los Alamos History Museum History at Home Activities
Livestreams and Other Engaging Media
- Georgia O’Keeffe Museum: Abiquiu Garden Webcam
- Very Large Array Webcam
- Aztec Ruins National Monument Night Sky Videos
- White Sands National Monument YouTube Channel